While it still may be too early to tell, Conan O'Brien is heading down a similar path of his predecessor, Jay Leno. I know I am showing my age a little bit in saying that I still remember Johnny Carson a little bit and most definitely his farewell from late night television. I wish NBC would understand that there will never be another Tonight Show the way Johnny Carson was able to do it. For 17 years, Jay Leno dumbed down his humor in order to appeal to the masses. His ratings suffered and without his candid interview with Hollywood's favorite John, Hugh Grant; he may never have surpassed Letterman in the ratings let alone kept his job for as long as he did.I've been watching Conan now for awhile since the 12:30 slot left much to be desired, although Craig Ferguson is quickly filling the massive gap created by Conan's departure and NBC's idea that Jimmy Fallon was actually funny. He's not and I am already tired of it. His interviewing technique is along the lines of cranial proctology and is just not interesting AT ALL. Conan's talent is amazing in the same way Letterman's still is. The difference and where I ultimately believe Conan will lose some of his fan base is when NBC forces him to make a show that is "appropriate" for the 11:30 slot. He has become NBC's whore in the same way Jay Leno continues to be.
The best move anyone ever made at that network was Letterman deciding to leave and as an avid fan of the Late Show I could not be happier. Dave has put together a funny product for as long as I have been watching him on television. Night in and night out his dark, dry, and sarcastic brand of humor is one that definitely appeals to me. He is one of the smartest men on television and thankfully has not allowed a network to control his material. I am not sure if there is a clause where Conan can release himself from that contract, but he needs to run as far in the opposite direction as possible.
No comments:
Post a Comment