29 April 2009

11 years...AND Done



It is really hard to believe that on Friday night, I will finish something that began eleven years ago. From the time I walked across the stage on Citizens Field in Gainesville, I knew I was going to college but I never imagined it would lead me here. My journey has not been normal by any means, nor has it been easy. There are however the rewards of such a journey that can never be taken away. This adventure we call college has introduced to new ways of thinking, spawned new friendships, and opened the doors to our futures.

For me, it was never really easy to finish. I knew it was something I had to do but I did not know how long it would take. The sacrifices have been many, but worth it all the same. My own college story is one I would never expect anyone to repeat, but would not be surprised if someone had to. So, if I had to give advice to someone graduating high school this year, take it from a guy who knows: it will never be easy but if you work your ass off the reward and feeling of just finishing that last final exam will make it all worth it. College has changed over the past eleven years. It used to be that all you needed to succeed was a Bachelor's degree and the landscape is slowly changing towards requiring a Master's. However, it is not the demands of society that have already lit the fuse inside me wanting to attend graduate school; it is that neverending thirst for knowledge that motivates me.

What I have learned over the past two years at the University of South Florida has been unlike anything I was ever exposed to elsewhere. Being able to learn from professors who have revolutionized their field, whether it be Southern US History, or the history of Gays and Lesbians in America, the University of South Florida has provided me with the opportunity to learn from some of the best and for that, I know I am a better person today

I would be remiss to write about college and not thank two people. Before my friends get up in arms over this, please know that I value each and every one of your friendships and your neverending support throughout this whole entire thing. But me walking across that stage Friday would not be possible without my parents. My Mom and Dad have been there for me throughout this entire thing; never nagging to get it done, just supporting my decisions along the way. They helped me grow up over the past 11 years, and it was not by telling me what was always the right way or what was the wrong way. I figured it out for myself, but along the way, their guidance helped me get to where I am right now.

So to the graduates of the Class of 2009, I hope you all appreciate the hard work and sacrifice you put into your degree. Cherish the friendships you made and the education you received. I was recently told, "Congratulations, you did it. It took awhile but you did it. And nobody can ever take that away from you." Thank you to everyone for your support along the way and for your well wishes for the future.

No comments: